Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Great Tomato Project continues

I have a tomato!!  It's just a little baby tomato, but a tomato none the less....



There seems to be a little flaw in my tomato planter design though.  You may recall from my first post in The Great Tomato Project, that I put a cup with slits in the sides down in the bottom of my planter buckets...


The idea is that the water in the bottom bucket would seep through the slits in the cup and up into the soil in the top bucket, watering the plants from below...

Here's what I didn't do that I probably should have...As I was adding the soil to the bucket, I should have been wetting the soil...I filled the bucket to the top with dry soil, and it appears that the surface tension on the water wasn't letting it seep...I'd water the bucket from the top to get things going, and 2 inches down, the soil would be dry as a bone, with the water just pooling on top.

I ended up pushing a small stake down through the soil to the bottom where the cup is and running water down that hole until it soaked the dirt from the bottom up...hopefully, now that I've got the dirt wet all the way through to the bottom, the seeping action will work.  Consider it a lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment