Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Past projects, paper model edition!

I'll be featuring a few of my past projects here and there.  Today it's paper models.  Paper models are just like other model kits except that you print the parts out on sheets of heavy paper, cut them out, and glue them together.

Benefits to paper models
--> Dirt cheap...there are literally thousands of models freely downloadable from the internet, many of extremely high quality...and the only supplies you really need to get started are cardstock, scissors, and glue.

--> Can be done by anyone...the models range from simple cube shaped characters with 5 pieces to 6 foot long spaceships with 100+ pages of parts.

--> Flexible...because they are just digital images, they can be sized up and down to make them bigger and smaller, and for those that are adept at graphics software, they can even be re-colored or modified.

-- >Forgiving...don't like the way your model is turning out?...reprint it and start over.  Screw up a part?...reprint!.  Want to build a whole fleet of your model?...print 10 of them!  Try that with traditional plastic models.


Enough talking...on to the pictures...

This is the Axiom, the space cruise ship featured in the animated movie "Wall-E".  Cute movie if you haven't seen it.  I got it here: Axiom.  I seem to remember I printed this one at 1/4 size to make it smaller.  It ended up about 6 inches long.



And here we have the Millenium Falcon from Star Wars which George Lucas will probably sue me for posting.  I got it from this page: Millenium Falcon (takes you directly to the .pdf file)  This one is at about half size...maybe a foot long.



And my crowning glory...the Red Baron's Fokker Dr.1 triplane from here: Red Baron ...needless to say, I scaled this one down too...I don't remember exactly what the ratio was...I basically just shrunk it until I had trouble seeing some of the parts.  Yes, that's a penny.


No comments:

Post a Comment